Vikram U r the Man!!

I decided to make my next post after watching Vikram in ‘Anniyan’. Before I jot down my observations and comments on this one, I wanted to go down the memory lane to the years 1985-89.My holidays at 83 Palanisamy st KK pudur were spent right in front of our Orson TV watching countless Mallu, Tambi, Hindi and English flicks .Dad used to be a partner at 2 video shops on NSR road.’Audio Videos’ and ‘Sight and Sound’, rather funny names when I try to recollect them in my mind now. We also had this amazing collection of Mallu classics at home. Being the son of PG (Dad’s called that in his circles),I could walk into our shop and pick up loads of videocassettes and return them well after the normal time limit for renting.
I grew up watching movies of Padmarajan, MT Vasudevan Nair and Bharathan. This also happened to be the golden era of Malayalam movies and I still believe that some of the mallu movies that came during that period were a class apart. These movies set an extremely high benchmark for acting standards Some movies that I have watched umpteen times are ‘Rangam’, ’Chilambu’, ’Thoovanathumbikal’, ‘Amrudhangamaya’ etc..actually the list is quite long. During the early 90's i watched more of Manirathnam and K.Balachander classics in tamil. All the while Lalettan was my favorite actor (Malluism at its best :-)) till I added Kamal Hassan and Aamir khan to that list.
In fact Lalettan is the only actor whose autograph I have .I still remember that evening in 1987 when Mr Ramesh my dad’s friend took me on his Yezdi to the ‘Ayur Vaidhya Sala’ centre in Ramanathapuram where he was getting treated after a mishap that happened on the sets of ‘Cheppu’. The first question Lalettan asked me was ‘Pulli evideya padikkkunathe’( where do you study??) with a typical Trivandrum slang .Wow he made the day for me!!!
Without realizing I had developed an amazing appetite to watch and critic movies at a young age. Not something that I can put in my resume, but still it has been one of my favorite hobbies …typical of any Indian middle class dude huh?

High school days were spent watching those early AR Rahman musicals ,Madhuri Dixit, Urmila Matondkar ( I guess my hormones took over from then :-))…..Sometime during my first year of college I remember watching a Mamooty starrer when I first noticed Vikram .My first impression was that this guy needs a good break because he looked like a star material being misused as a second fiddle to heroes. I later found out that our man had been around for a while and that ‘Meera’ was his first film way back in the late eighties. I almost forgot his name till my 8’th semister in college. ‘Sethu ‘ had hit the road and Mr Vaathu my college mate came back and did a great publicity gig praising Vikram for his stellar performance. Prashant…of all people persuaded me to watch the movie. Vikram did surprise me with his performance and I gave myself a pat on the back for having realized his potential a few years back!!
Five years hence when I look at Vikram’s roles he has one trait that puts him in my all time list of favorites -Versatility. ’Pithamagan’,’Sethu’,’Dhool’, ‘Dhill’ ..I have enjoyed each of his movies….For a change a cop really looked like one in ‘Samy’…he fits the bill for the next macho hero in every count…
The action sequences have never been this realistic ..for when he punches and villan’s go air born I am forced to belive it is true ..He represents the new generation super hero who matches the heroine in looks and attire and can walk away with all the credits .…U r the man!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mylapore Experience

Covid 19 and Work from Home