Afterthoughts

I have sent out e-mails and yelled over phone announcing yet another career move.The reactions have been mixed to say the least. General complaint has been why technology again,why not finance or consulting?

I have only one answer to counter such questions. You need a lot of focus and intellectual horsepower to make these dream jobs. To generate that effort you need to really love such careers. Sadly i never liked finance and consulting was more of an accident.I never gave a 100% towards my consulting or finance preps at the ISB.I chose Chennai and this job with a reason in mind. Most it has to do with my interest in music and wanting to stay close to my family. If you really know what you love in life then such decisions come easy.My job was never my first love it was just a means to an end.Hence I found it very easy to ditch one international offer too.

A job or a career is not something you wish to flaunt, it should be something that comes naturally to you,something that makes you feel good while you are at it.Some individuals associate thier existence and self esteem to the brand image of thier employer. That is a sorry state to be in .
Today Sashi uncle made me sing to a few guests at his residence.I didn't do all that well,but they have invited me to sing at thier daughters wedding in a few weeks. I know music makes me feel at home and i feel super cool when I am at it.I felt good .Dunoo if I will make that career switch yet but I am happy that I am making a few moves in the right direction...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good Going Buddy.. Liked your post of afterthoughts.. and totally believe in what you have written regarding family and doing things what you want to do..

For your music.. i didn't know that you are SO MUCH INTO IT... am sure you ll go places in that as well!! :)

Cheers!
Anonymous said…
Vicks,

Way to go!!!! machi!!!! you r da man!!! ...

" Some individuals associate thier existence and self esteem to the brand image of thier employer. That is a sorry state to be in " -

well said!!! hopefully lot of us realise that soon and make amends
Anonymous said…
deep n penetrating tots da. couln't agree with u more.

KM
Yemmyemm said…
Totally with you on this one, Vivek!!!
If one can get their priorities rite, nothing like that. Good luck with everything.
Chinese RooBoy said…
Hey buddy. Just read your blog. So you turned down the Aussie job huh? Ultimately it's your life, so you gotta do what's right for you!

BTW, I couldn't agree with you more on the statement that

"...some individuals associate their existence and self esteem to the brand image of thier employer. That is a sorry state to be in"

There's a lot of people like that - they're kidding themselves!

Good luck with everything!
Nagaraj said…
vivekanandaaaa...eppadi irruka? was hunting for a friend of mine and landed at ur blog!!! good to see ur blog and pic dude...i did understand that u have landed with the job u like - congrats!!! I am in India now..+91 98403 43647.. will tty soon..or mail me @ nags_4u@yahoo.com..yesterday got the automated invite from somnath abt the weekly lunch at CADDIS and now ur blog..
Anonymous said…
Well said machii, well said... I have no doubts in my mind about watching you in concert (a REAL one) in Chennai sometime soon...

Popular posts from this blog

Mylapore Experience

Covid 19 and Work from Home